Jefferson Swivel and Secretary

Friday, March 25, 2011

Shaving Horse

I thought I'd show my newest shaving horse. I actually found the plans for it on the Fine Woodworking web site. It's basically a copy of Kentucky Chair Maker Brian Boggs' horse. I made a few different changes but its basically just like the one he shows how to make in the article. I have since put a new seat on it that is the top half of a Fan Back Windsor and it makes it to where you can sit at it for hours on end. The old Shaving horse I made was the German style with just a open head. I loved it but to sit at it for very long your back is hunched over and it just doesn't allow for a very comfortable position. When I made this new one, I thought I'd be in the same boat after an hour of use. It was comfortable but on those days where I need to make 50 spindles it just doesn't allow enough comfort. So with the chair seat added I am able to sit there for 4 or 5 hours without much fatigue. It went from a Pinto to a Cadillac if that makes sense

No comments:

Post a Comment