Jefferson Swivel and Secretary

Friday, April 8, 2011

The "Titanic" is about to set sail



I got this behemoth of a Settee done today and am very happy with it. I have never made one this big and by big I mean --BIG. It's just a little over 8' overall.  I have seen other chair makers who have made longer settee's, but it's not an easy task and I am well aware of that now. I had a good time figuring out how to do everything, how long to make the bows, how many spindles to make etc. and getting all the spindles in place before the glue set up was a real chore. I was very careful drilling the holes in the 2 back bows because one little mishap and I would have to make all new bows, that means, splitting a new piece out, shaping it, plus steam bending and waiting for it to dry, talk about nerve racking.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Matt,

    Nice settee, quite an endevor. I look forward to more blogs.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete